Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tabata

I'm doing this blog after seeing that some folks are having a tough time with weight loss in what I presume are New Years resolutions. If you're only familiar with the "ho-hum" gym routines of using treadmills or elliptical and whatnot, I suggest you try a tabata workout. I will briefly explain what a tabata is, but here is a website that has plenty of good information on it.

The Tabata Protocol was created by Dr. Izumi Tabata at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. Dr. Izumi discovered that high intensity aerobic training done for four minutes burns just as much fat as moderate aerobic workouts done for forty five minutes. If you want to learn more of the specifics and the "how and whys" of how it works, check out the website I linked above.

The basics of it is that you should pick four exercises. I typically do body weight exercises such as push ups, squats, crunches, and burpees. I change it up frequently, but you get the idea. You will do each exercise for 8 sets of 20 seconds each with a 10 second rest in between. Once you are done with that exercise, it's on to the next, but take a 1 minute break between exercises. It's best if you have an interval timer like the one found at http://www.gymboss.com/ That's what I use. If you don't have one, just use a watch. It's also helpful to find something to help you keep up with the 8 sets because as you get tired, it will be harder to keep track. Make tick marks on something or have 8 pennies you can move after each set.

So your timing will look like this: 20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20---1 minute rest......next exercise.......go!

This workout can be as easy, or as tough as you make it. If you give a good effort, it will be really tough and you will see great results. If you don't really try hard, you won't see great results. It also depends on your fitness level how hard you can go, don't hurt yourself, but push yourself. My motto is that it's all about going harder, faster, and further just when you don't think you can. I'm usually ready to puke by the end of this workout, and I do it on my "tabata Tuesdays". If you're not used to these kind of intense workouts, you will see results quickly. However, always remember, if you're trying to lose weight you can workout hard all day long, but if you don't have a good diet it won't matter.

If you have anymore questions about it, consult the website above or feel free to contact me. Now drink some water and get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Fort Bragg, NC, United States
My blog is currently under construction.