Thursday, October 29, 2009

"I Can't"

“You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” Margaret Thatcher

“Most people give up just when they’re about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game, one foot from a winning touchdown.” H. Ross Perot

The inspiration behind this post comes from hearing people that I've worked with utter the phrase "I can't" over and over. Most often, when I encounter people saying this, it's simply because something I am having the attempt is hard for them due to flexibility issues. Flexibility is something that can be fixed with a little effort and time. I understand that in life, there are things you can't do. Wiping this phrase out of your vocabulary completely may not be feasible, it just needs to be left out of your vocabulary when dealing with physical exercise. The only exception is when you have a limitation due to medical causes.
The caveat to having medical issues is that you should not use them as a crutch. Many people will "stretch the truth" about their ailments or injuries in order to "get over". I am not suggesting at any time you should do something painful, but realize your limitations and do the best you can. If you're ever training with me, I am not a physical therapist, so I will not attempt to fix you. I may simply work around whatever issue it is you have.

When working with a trainer and trying a new movement, or one you've failed at before, simply keep an open mind. For instance, if I ask you to do a squat and you cannot perform the movement correctly, that's where you should NOT be thinking "I can't". Any knowledgeable trainer can scale back the movement and start you with progressions that will eventually work you up to being able to properly execute that movement. Most new things you shouldn't start with weight, but if you're doing something involving weights and it's too much, then simply state that. There's no need to enter the mindset of "I can't".

In my career, I have improved many people fitness wise. You can achieve whatever you can get into your head is possible. Negative thinking will not get you anywhere. If you're a person who often says "I can't" or thinks negatively when the going gets tough, simply realize that. The first step is to realize that's how you are, and then go from there. Train yourself to think positively and to have the I CAN attitude. Teach yourself that you cannot fail. Below is probably my favorite poem. Read it. I interpret it as meaning we are all built the same and can accomplish whatever we want. In the end, if physical fitness were easy and without challenges, wouldn't everyone be fit? Look around, not everyone is. Enjoy!

EQUIPMENT

Figure it out for yourself, my lad,
You've all that the greatest of men have had,
Two arms, two hands, two legs, two eyes
And a brain to use if you would be wise.
With this equipment they all began,
So start for the top and say, "I can."

Look them over, the wise and great
They take their food from a common plate,
And similar knives and forks they use,
With similar laces they tie their shoes.
The world considers them brave and smart,
But you've all they had when they made their start.

You can triumph and come to skill,
You can be great if you only will.
You're well equipped for what fight you choose,
You have legs and arms and a brain to use,
And the man who has risen great deeds to do
Began his life with no more than you.

You are the handicap you must face,
You are the one who must choose your place,
You must say where you want to go,
How much you will study the truth to know.
God has equipped you for life, but He
Lets you decide what you want to be.

Courage must come from the soul within,
The man must furnish the will to win.
So figure it out for yourself, my lad.
You were born with all that the great have had,
With your equipment they all began,
Get hold of yourself and say: "I can."

--Edgar A. Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Fort Bragg, NC, United States
My blog is currently under construction.