Friday, October 2, 2009

Discipline of Another Kind

For starters, here is a great quote for you. "The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." -Bruce Lee

Now, what I mean by discipline of another kind is that I learned a new form of discipline. That discipline is being able to not workout, even when I want to. I learned this through my train up regimen getting ready for the Russian Kettlebell Challenge. I have never been much of a power lifter or trained really heavy, but the snatches with the 24kg (53pd) kettlebell was a heavy task for me. I wanted to snatch more and more to work towards my goal, but had to relegate myself to snatching only 3 times a week. I did it 4 times only once. It was hard for me to not workout on certain days, even though I wanted to, but I wanted to give my muscles the maximum amount of time to repair and grow.

This meant not working out AT ALL on my off days. The only thing I would do is run. The snatch, when done in high volume is a very taxing cardio workout. So in order to increase my cardiovascular endurance, I would do some short 2 or 3 mile runs with hills incorporated in. So remember, even though you may feel like training, it's not always best to. Just know that if you're working out heavy or have done an intense workout, you also need recovery time. And of course, without proper nutrition and rest, your workouts and recovery time won't be as effective.

I am extremely excited that I am only one week out from my RKC. It's going to be great. I am already wearing a t-shirt from OPT when I do my snatch test in honor of the man who got me there, and I'm also wearing one from Rapid Results Fitness in Durham that Miss Betsy Collie is sending me. So that leaves one more day, if anyone else is interested in using me as a billboard. lol

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Fort Bragg, NC, United States
My blog is currently under construction.